Monday, August 29, 2011

This Week at Mt. Olive


Good evening, fellow redeemed!

As the confirmands and I gathered earlier today, I gave the age-old assignment that all catechism students dread: reciting memory work. Opening the Catechism and reciting parts of it is all part of every confirmation instruction program.

What's distressing to me as pastor is not the confirmands struggling to memorize the catechism, but adults confirmed as teens who don't crack the book anymore. So, true to my promise to the students today, I'm asking all church members to undertake the same task as they are undertaking.

That's right, I'm asking all confirmed adults to spend time this year learning and relearning the catechism. Begin with the First Commandment. Read it and the explanation. Use the Catechism as a basis for prayer - if you need help, I've got a system for you. Consult the Large Catechism. It's available on line. Once you learn the First Commandment, move to the Second, and so on.

If you wish, feel free to recite to me the parts of the Catechism you learn.

Let's embark on a Confessional renewal at Mt. Olive!

This week at Mt. Olive has a couple of changes and special events. Here goes!
Tuesday I will be the pastor on Prayer Time at KBNJ, 91.7 FM. I'm not sure of the time, but I hope to be able to "tweet" it to you tomorrow.

Wednesday, due to a certain birthday, Lutheran Book Club will meet at B & J's Pizza on Staples. By the way, we're almost done with "Why I am a Lutheran." Following this book, we will undertake "Hammer of God" by Bo Giertz.

Prayer Concerns:
Charlotte Birnbaum (hospitalized), Eunice Lewis (now at home)
Those who serve in our armed forces and their families: Rob Vadney (Ft. Campbell, KY), Richard Rhode (North Carolina), John Sorensen (Corpus Christi)
Our Sunday School teachers and the students committed to their teaching
Our sister congregations, fellow Christians, and fellow Americans who are enduring the effects of Hurricane Irene

This Week at Mt. Olive:
Monday, August 29
6:30 p.m.
Zumba Aerobics

Wednesday, August 31
8:30 a.m.
School Chapel

9:30 a.m.
Bible Study (Revelation)

6:30 p.m.
Zumba Aerobics

7:00 p.m.
Lutheran Book Club at B & J's on Staples

God bless!
PKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment