Monday, February 1, 2010

Rev. Franke's Theme Thoughts


The Fifth Sunday after Epiphany, Series C February 7, 2010

Lessons for Epiphany 5 (Lutheran Service Book)
Isaiah 6:1–8 (9–13) ~ The Lord sent Isaiah with a message to build up His people after all hope was gone.
Psalm 138 (Antiphon: v. 5)
1 Corinthians 14:12b–20 ~ The Spirit has given gifts to His people for building up the church.
Luke 5:1–11 ~ Jesus picked Simon’s boat for a pulpit and Simon and his partners as His evangelists.

GATHERING THE TEXTS: The Touch of God
In the year that good King Uzziah died, when the people could only expect the Assyrians to overrun Israel and Judah, Isaiah was called to proclaim that the Holy King, Lord Almighty reigned! He would preserve a little seed from his chosen people. On the shores of Lake Gennesaret, Peter, James, and John were encountered by Jesus, who filled their nets with fish. He called them to join Him in carrying the Kingdom of God to others. St. Paul gives instructions on how to use God’s gifts to proclaim the message of God's grace.

PRAYER BEFORE THE SERVICE: Most holy God, Lord Almighty, although I shrink from Your majesty and might, You have called me Your child and friend in Jesus, my Savior. Help me respond to Your grace by sharing Your forgiving love with my friends and neighbors through what I say and do. Amen.

STEWARDSHIP THOUGHT: Every gift can be used for different purposes; tools that build can also be used to destroy. Words can build up and tear down. Even the material goods God has showered on our lives can be used for the benefit of His people or in ways that hurt and harm the witness of His kingdom.

OFFERING PRAYER: Lord, here we are before Your throne of grace
With tongues that sometimes fail to share Your name.
We pray that You would purge our lips, and trace
Your mercy through these gifts to spread Your fame.

CONVICTION AND COMFORT: God has given all believers a special calling to build up His kingdom with word and deed. When we say things that tear down the faith of a fellow believer rather than build up the body of Christ, we need our lips purged, like Isaiah. When we do things that turn people away rather than draw them into God’s love, we must fall on our knees like St. Peter and recognize the distance we place between us and God. But in Christ God has reached out to embrace us and has given us as seed and seedling to be living building blocks for His Kingdom.

(Bonus: ‘A Mighty Glory,’ hymn based on Isaiah 6)


A MIGHTY GLORY FILLS THIS PLACE

A mighty glory fills this place! What is this sight I see?
Angels surround the throne of God flying so high and free!
My eyes have seen the Lord, my King. “Here, Lord, am I; send me!”

“Holy, the Lord!” The angels’ call shakes the room mightily.
Around the throne the holy hall is filled with majesty!
He calls me with his Gospel clear. “Here, Lord, am I; send me!”

As if to purge my unclean lips an angel comes to me.
This coal has touched; my lips are clean! Christ’s blood has set me free!
My guilt is gone; my sin atoned! “Here, Lord, am I; send me!”

“Go, make disciples everywhere, and teach my Word for me.
Baptize all nations,” Jesus said. “I’m with you constantly.”
“Whom shall I send, and who will go?” “Here, Lord, am I; send me!”

Tune: BROTHER JAMES’ AIR 86 86 86
(LW # 417, “The Lord’s My Shepherd Leading Me”)


Gilbert A. Franke

No comments:

Post a Comment